Transport Services and Fleet Manager (Major Event)
WOLLONGONG 2022 LTD
The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), the international federation for cycling, will host the upcoming UCI Road World Championships in Wollongong, New South Wales (NSW) in September 2022.
The Championships is the pinnacle event in the international road cycling calendar and includes a range of men’s and women’s individual time trials, mixed team time trials and road races across age groups from junior to elite as well as a mass participation event targeting community participants.
The event was secured as part of the NSW Government’s 10 World Cups in 10 Years initiative via a strong partnership between Destination NSW, the lead NSW government agency for tourism and major events, Office of Sport, the lead NSW Government agency for sport and active recreation, Wollongong City Council and AusCycling.
Hosting this event reinforces NSW’s status as the perfect stage for international sporting events and will establish Wollongong’s position as a globally recognised cycling tourism and major event destination.
The event presents significant size, scale and complexity, and will be one of the biggest international sporting events to be hosted in NSW in the coming years. Set to be held over 8 days in September 2022, Wollongong 2022 Ltd, has been established as the Local Organising Committee (LOC) responsible for the delivery of the event.
Wollongong 2022 Ltd will operate a lean and efficient staffing structure employing a core team of major event professionals, expert cycling personnel and contractors of other essential services to ensure value for money and relevant industry expertise.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for an experienced Transport Services and Fleet Manager to join the Wollongong 2022 team to as we move into detailed operational planning and delivery phases for 2022 UCI Road World Championships (W2022).
With six months to go until the World Championships, project planning is well underway, and we require a professional that has transport services planning and delivery experience in the context of sporting events, strong project management skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders, the community and government agencies.
Reporting to the Traffic and Transport Manager, you will deliver transport services and fleet requirements for W2022 working with key event stakeholders including, but not limited to; W2022 Traffic Management contractor, Transport NSW, NSW Police and Wollongong City Council. You will plan and manage transport services including Park and Ride and associated services for customers, VIP, dignitaries, teams and event workforce to access and attend the event.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As Transport Services and Fleet Manager, your role will include the following key responsibilities:
• Develop a detailed Transport Services and Fleet Operations Plan for the event that satisfies the requirements within the UCI guidelines; including an arrivals and departure plan for airport, media and VIP shuttles, workforce deployment plan for course volunteers and the management and distribution of fleet vehicles on event. • Identify, scope and implement Park and Ride locations for the event for both visitors and residents. • Create depot/stabling plans for fleet facilities and workspaces. • Work with the Traffic Manager, and Traffic and Transport Manager to prepare the event parking plan, and negotiation of private spaces required to fulfil event requirements. • Scheduling of daily transportation services operation and ensure compliance with operating policies, regulations, labour agreements and work rules. • Prepare plans that enable on time running for Event related Transport services in a congested network. • Build proactive relationships and effective communications with key stakeholders and operational partners such as Bus operators, Wollongong City Council, New South Wales Police and Transport for NSW to ensure efficient planning and co-ordinated event-time delivery. • Identify key risks and issues relating to transport service and fleet within the Transport Functional Area (FA) and put in place robust contingency plans and mitigation measures. • Where required, manage the procurement processes for transport services such as shuttles and coaches. • Support the Community Engagement Manager in the key liaison to the Wollongong community through the planning and implementation of transport services and access, in conjunction with the Communications and Community Engagement team. • Work with key stakeholders to ensure relevant permissions and permits are attained for the event and there is compliance with all statutory requirements. • Manage the Park and Ride locations and workforce at event time, coordinating the set up and movement of vehicles. • Manage and support Fleet Coordinator staff, ensuring adequate storage and servicing of the Event fleet prior to and during the event. • Ensure the demobilisation of the fleet at the end of the Event to ensure suitable transport services for Event dependent arrivals and departures Coordinate with Events Operations and integrate Transport Services and Fleet to overall Transport and Operational Plan.
Staffing, Reporting and Administration
• Develop relevant project plans to ensure operational timelines, risks and issues are integrated into the business wide planning. • Work with the Traffic and Transport Manager to provide input into the budget and resources of the Transport Services and fleet workstreams. Contribute to regular budget reviews and adhere to agreed policies and procedures. • Support with the recruitment, appointment and management of the Traffic and Transport team including staff, volunteers (including drivers) and contractors. • Oversee training of staff, volunteers and contractors if applicable to ensure Fleet and Bus Services are delivered according to the plan. • Develop policies and procedures where necessary to support the delivery of the Traffic and Transport FA. • Contribute to the Event Management Plan where appropriate for the Traffic and Transport FA. • Contribute to Post Event reporting for the for the Traffic and Transport FA.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
A style that is collaborative and solutions focussed, with experience working at previous major events along with a thorough understanding of transport service planning and the acquisition and management of event related fleet.
Essential experience, knowledge and skills Include:
• Proven exceptional project management skills in the provision of transport services within a complex project, preferably at major sports events, experience with road-based events an advantage. • Proven experience in Transport Services Planning. • Demonstrated experience in fleet procurement and management. • Proven capability to collaborate with stakeholders and deliver positive event outcomes, ideally in the traffic services and fleet management. • Experience of police, security and counter-terrorism planning. • Understanding of developing and delivering project plans. • Experience working successfully with groups such as government agencies, emergency services, private stakeholders and the community. • Demonstrated strong contract management and negotiation skills. • Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite of programs.
• Knowledge of state operations such as police and transport planning along with an understanding of Local Government processes including approval and advisory groups. • Knowledge of services planning and operator requirements, including WHS • Ability to integrate FA of Services and Fleet into the overarching programme and to align operational requirements to the needs of the Event. • Understanding of responding to monitoring targets and KPIs. • An understanding of Australian workplace health and safety requirements, legislation, and licencing in major events. • Understanding of other FAs that fall under the Operations Division such as Safety & Security, Technology, Catering, Cleaning and Waste, Overlay, Accreditation and Venue Management, among others.
• Excellent negotiation and communication skills. • Ability to respond flexibly with agility to ensure transport services operate efficiently during event periods. • Capability to manage volunteer short term workforce. • Ability to communicate clearly and effectively under operational pressure. • Capacity to find creative, effective solutions to operational challenges. • Ability to demonstrate attention to detail. • Ability to communicate and work in partnership with multiple internal and external partners and stakeholders at all levels. • The energy to achieve results and take action to exceed goals and expectations. • The ability to adapt and respond positively to a variety of situations and people.
It is expected you will be working from our Wollongong office, unless otherwise agreed, to fulfil the requirements of the role. Working from home options are negotiable.
HOW TO APPLY
If this position sounds exciting to you and are what we are looking for, we would love to hear from you!
Please submit your application to email@example.com before Wednesday 13th April, 5pm AEST.
We will only be accepting applications that include a CV and a cover letter responding to the selection criteria and key responsibilities of the role.
Any enquiries regarding the role, please feel free to email us on the email provided.